The Most Sweeping Gun Ban Ever Introduced In Congress; McCarthy Bill Bans Millions More Guns Than The Clinton Gun Ban
Saturday, February 24, 2007 - copied from the NRA-ILA website:
On Feb. 14, 2007, Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) introduced H.R. 1022, a bill with the stated purpose, “to reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.”
McCarthy’s verbiage warrants explanation. Presumably, what she means by “assault weapons ban” is the Clinton Gun Ban of 1994. Congress allowed the ban to expire in 2004 for multiple reasons, including the fact that federal, state and local law enforcement agency studies showed that guns affected by the ban had been used in only a small percentage of crime, before and after the ban was imposed.
With the nation’s murder rate 43% lower than in 1991, and the re-legalized guns still used in only a small percentage of crime, reauthorizing the Clinton Gun Ban would be objectionable enough. But McCarthy’s “other purposes” would make matters even worse. H.R. 1022 would ban every gun banned by the Clinton ban, plus millions more guns, including:
• Every gun made to comply with the Clinton ban. (The Clinton ban dictated the kinds of grips, stocks and attachments new guns could have. Manufacturers modified new guns to the Clinton requirements. H.R. 1022 would ban the modified guns too.)
• Guns exempted by the Clinton ban. (Ruger Mini-14s and -30s and Ranch Rifles; .30 cal. carbines; and fixed-magazine, semi-automatic, center-fire rifles that hold more than 10 rounds.)
• All semi-automatic shotguns. (E.g., Remington, Winchester, Beretta and Benelli, used for hunting, sport shooting, and self-defense. H.R. 1022 would ban them because they have “any characteristic that can function as a grip,” and would also ban their main component, called the “receiver.”)
• All detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles-including, for example, the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 .22 rimfire-because they have “any characteristic that can function as a grip.”
• Target shooting rifles. (E.g., the three centerfire rifles most popular for marksmanship competitions: the Colt AR-15, the Springfield M1A and the M1 “Garand.”)
• Any semi-automatic shotgun or rifle an Attorney General one day claims isn’t “sporting,” even though the constitutions of the U.S. and 44 states, and the laws of all 50 states, recognize the right to use guns for defense.
• 65 named guns (the Clinton law banned 19 by name); semi-auto fixed-magazine pistols of over 10 rounds capacity; and frames, receivers and parts used to repair or refurbish guns.
H.R. 1022 would also ban the importation of magazines exempted by the Clinton ban, ban the sale of a legally-owned “assault weapon” with a magazine of over 10 rounds capacity, and begin backdoor registration of guns, by requiring private sales of banned guns, frames, receivers and parts to be conducted through licensed dealers. Finally, whereas the Clinton Gun Ban was imposed for a 10-year trial period, H.R. 1022 would be a permanent ban.
Please be sure to contact your U.S. Representative and urge him or her to oppose H.R. 1022!
You can call your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.
Petition Announcement from our Friend Jason Brokaw: If you feel as strongly as I do about this bill not getting passed, the link below takes you to a petition that is currently being circulated to demonstrate that many people would like to see this bill dissolved.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 I have already signed it and also called our legislative representative in Washington D.C. for the state of North Dakota. The process is extremely easy. You simply call your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121. When they answer the phone, you just tell them you want the office for your particular state and you are then transferred. Once you are transferred, ask the secretary who is handling this bill and they will direct you to one of the staff that handles this bill and you can voice your opinion. Sitting on the sideline does absolutely no good if you do not use the system we have readily available. Everyone complains about the government, but most do not call their Representatives to voice their opinion. If a bill you object to passes and you did not voice your opinion, the only person you have to blame is yourself. In a time period where the United States is “Target #1” for terrorist organizations and various countries like Russia, China, India and Venezuela are conducting massive arms build-ups is not the time to start looking week. As various congressional representatives are demonstrating to the enemy that we will officially quit on an specific date, I would not suggest giving your guns up. Of course, you can make that determination for yourself. Thank you, Jason Brokaw Brokaw Arms 1100 North 55th Street, #110 Grand Forks, ND 58203-1707 (303) 882-1891 Email: email@example.com URL: http://www.brokawarms.com
A leader in the Minnesota Permit to Carry and Renewal/Concealed Carry, Iowa Permit to Carry/Concealed Carry, Florida Permit to Carry/Concealed Carry, Wisconsin Permit to Carry /Concealed Carry, Arizona Permit to Carry/Concealed Carry and Utah Permit to Carry/Concealed Carry Training!
Training Locations: Minot, Williston, Bismarck, Fargo and Grand Forks, North Dakota.
Black Hawk County, Des Moines, Grundy County, Mason City, Osage, Reinbeck County, Waterloo-Cedar Falls, West Des Moines and Rudd, Iowa
Prairie du Chien, Sun Prairie, Richfield, Eau Claire and Duluth (Superior), LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Baudette, Bemidji, Blaine, Brainerd/Baxter, Burnsville, Crookston, Duluth, East Grand Forks, Elk River, Littlefork (International Falls), Long Prairie, Mankato, Menahga (Park Rapids), Minneapolis/St. Paul, Monticello, Nowthen, Owatonna, Rochester, Rogers, Roseau, St. Cloud and Wadena, Minnesota.
Conveniently located in Rogers, Owatonna, Blaine, Woodbury, Burnsville and other announced locations for the students in the Minneapolis & St. Paul (Twin Cities), MN area.
Mitchell, Watertown and Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Now offering the Air Force Special in Minot, ND & Grand Forks, ND
Cabela's Stores: East Grand Forks, Owatonna, Prairie du Chien, Sun Prairie, Richland, Woodbury and Rogers Sheels Stores: Fargo, St. Cloud, West Des Moines, Mankato, Sioux Falls, Rochester, Bismarck, Grand Forks, Eau Claire and Minot
Trainers Rusty Ramirez Laura Ramirez Denny Bure Lisa Murphy Tom Ramirez John Johnson Laura Johnson Adam Breakell Lucinda Peterson Rose Krats Todd Tharaldson Rose Tharaldson Steve Lonn Terry Allen Joe Johnson JC Johnson Tony Ramirez
Minnesota Permit to Carry/Renewal Minnesota Permit to Carry Minnesota Permit to Carry Minnesota Permit to Carry Renewal
Utah Permit to Carry Utah Permit to Carry Utah Permit to Carry
Arizona Permit to Carry Arizona Permit to Carry Arizona Permit to Carry
Iowa Permit to Carry Iowa Permit to Carry Iowa Permit to Carry
Florida Permit to Carry Florida Permit to Carry Florida Permit to Carry
Wisconsin Permit to Carry Wisconsin Permit to Carry Wisconsin Permit to Carry
Illinois Permit to Carry Illinois Permit to Carry Illinois Permit to Carry